You've never heard of this "ceviche" before? Well, lemme introduce you to a close and personal friend of mine.
Frontera Grill's Ceviche!
Rick Bayless at Frontera Grill is my best friend... or at least, he would be, if he knew me and I didn't already have a best friend in my husband and another in my awesome squirrel friend Megan.
But yeah, we're close. On my part at least.
For our first anniversary, Wade and I traveled to Chicago just to eat at his restaurant. I'm not even kidding. We couldn't get a reservation because they were for 6 months out! So, we got there an hour before the restaurant opened and waited in line (Yes, there was already a line!) to be a Walk-In. It was soooooo worth it. Best meal of my life.
You may remember my post on the Duck Tacos recipe that he created.
Yeah, he is a Mexican food genius!
So, I thought, since I'm making ceviche for a football party today, I'd share my version of the recipe with you! (sorry I don't have a photo of my own, but it's still in the "cooking" process.)
- a 40-60 medium count pack of frozen, uncooked shrimp*. Tails off, deveined.
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups lime juice (I'm lazy and buy the little squeezable lime thingys... ya know what I'm talkin about?)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, stems cut off, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds included if you like it hot!)
- 1 tomato, cored and seeded. Then chopped (basically just the outter shell)
- 1 or 2 avacado, diced.
- 1/8 salt
- Thaw shrimp* under running water and drain. I tear my shrimp in half to make it go farther.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups lime, shrimp, and onion into a large glass or stainless bowl.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours until the lime "cooks" the shrimp and it turns pink.
- Tip off the juice.
- Add cilantro, tomato, jalapeno and salt.
- Refrigerate an hour longer.
- Add avacado at the end so it doesn't brown.
- Serve with chips or on top of a tostada and eat it all up!
Takes about 4 hours.
*You can also use any white fish, scallops, or all three! The lime will cook it through.
Let me know how you guys like it!
Oh. and Wade says,