Welcome to Day 2 of Recipe Week at Life. On a Mission. If you missed yesterday's post, we made a healthy (and delicious!) Chicken Stir-fry.
Living our lives on a mission is all about knowing and glorifying God, serving others, and living our lives, well, on a mission to make the most of Him!
For me, that includes what and how I eat, and often who I eat with. The table is a place for community. Maybe you need a little "me" time. Make yourself a delicious meal and sit-down without the TV! Feed your family, your friends, your neighbors.
What have I got up my sleeve today? Honestly, it's something that, until a few months ago, I never-ever-would-I-ever have imagined I'd be cooking, let alone eating: DOUBLE TURKEY BURGERS ON A PORTABELLO MUSHROOM BUN. (yes, I know I spelled portobello wrong, but I'm not remaking the photo so ehhh.)
If you're saying to yourself: YUCK. I hate mushrooms! SO DID I! Try them again, you might be surprised at how your taste buds change as you "grow up." I literally can't get enough mushrooms these days.
4 Pre-made turkey patties (fresh, not frozen. Made locally is always best. Or, if you're feeling adventurous - make them yourselves!)
4 Portabello Mushroom caps, de-stemmed and de-gilled. (you can buy them cleaned or use this tutorial to gut the gills)
Romain lettuce leaves
Cheese of your choice (I love tillamook pepperjack)
1. Begin by cleaning the mushroom caps. Be careful when cleaning the gills to try not to break the cap itself. DO NOT RUN MUSHROOMS UNDER WATER! They hold a ton of water as it is. If you want, run a slightly damp paper towel over them to clean and pat dry/let sit to dry.
2. (OPTIONAL) slice a white onion into rings and wrap them in foil. Put them on a pre-heated grill for about 15 minutes.
3. Once the grill is preheated, cook the turkey burgers. Thin burgers will take about 15 minutes and should be flipped every 5 minutes. Add the cheese the last few minutes to get it nice and melty!
4. Add the mushrooms to the grill the last 7 or 8 minutes, flipping once.
5. Dress your burger (make it a double since turkey patties can be super thin!) and enjoy.
*Note: I didn't use any condiments because these burgers are SUPER moist. The mushrooms release a lot of juice so you might want to put a layer or two of napkins under your burger as you eat. They may be messy, but they are delicious!
Feel free to leave any questions in the comments. Coming up tomorrow: Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken.